1808 Dacotah Drive
1) What are your views on cycling in Windsor?
The cycling infrastructure has been neglected by City Council for years. The incumbent in Ward 4 a “leading light” on the City’s Bicycle Committee has been ineffective in convincing Council colleagues to support the BUMP recommendations. I will work to improve results in this area. The City’s support for infrastructure for cyclists and the general awareness and promotion of the benefits of cycling must be improved. I believe I can get Council colleagues to increase the budget allocation to this area beyond the current 20% of the targeted level.
2) Do you own a bike? How often do you ride it?
We have two bikes. We do not ride them as often as we like or should and generally for recreation.
3) Recent research shows that 65% of Windsorites have ridden a bike in the last year. What do you think can be done to get more Windsorites cycling more often?
I believe that the promotion of cycling is an important ingredient in getting a greater number of residents to ride. As well, increased bike lanes and signage is also needed.
4) What do you think needs to be done to make Windsor more bicycle friendly?
As mentioned increase capacity and routes for bike lanes would be an excellent start. Increased signage and dedicated areas would also be helpful to make biking more interesting. Some folks like to bike on the streets while others would prefer dedicated trails. I believe increasing the capacity in both areas would be beneficial.
I also believe we require more areas to safely stop and park bikes while walking and/or shopping. We could use special bike stands in all of the BIA”S for example so people do not have to wrap chains around lamp posts to ensure their bikes are secure.
5) What are your views on enforcing cycling laws in Windsor?
I do not believe there is adequate enforcement of biking laws. On an average day I will see 10 -15 bikes riding down busy sidewalks endangering children and the elderly. I would call for stricter enforcement. The “bad apples” give everyone a bad name.
6) Are you willing to make a commitment to bike to at least 4 city council meetings per year, to lead by example?
Rather timid commitment. Yes by all means.